Working in Germany

Welcome at SYNERGIE!

We are pleased that you have shown interest in working with us. For questions regarding living and working in Germany please feel free to contact us personally. The first key information you will need you can find below about these subjects:


Working in Germany

Residence & Working (Visa)

Citizens of the EU as well as of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland may live and work in Germany without further approvals. You simply need a valid passport or an identity card to come to Germany.

Citizens from other countries must apply for a visa at the German mission (embassy, consulate general) in their home country before travelling to Germany. Please be aware to apply for a permanent residency visa and not one for a short-term stay.

There are special provisions for citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America. They may enter Germany without a visa and apply for a residence permit at a later time for employment in Germany.

Official informations of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees about:
>> entry rules
>> working in Germany for EU citizens
>> working in Germany for citizens of third countries

Vocational qualifications (Recognition)

If you have completed your vocational training abroad it is advisable to have your qualifications acknowledged in Germany (e.g. for caring professions, in some cases it is even mandatory). In any case it is helpful when you are applying for a job in Germany because the company would probably not be able to properly assess your qualifications otherwise.

>> Further information in vocational qualifications / recognition in Germany (PDF english  l  other languages)
>> detailed information on website „Recognition in Germany“

Working hours & holidays

Normally the weekly working hours are between 35 to 40 hours, and this is usually agreed upon in your employment contract. In Germany there are regulated work hours. Typically a day starts between 7 and 9 o’clock in the morning. Around noon (ca. 11.30 – 13.30 o‘clock) you can take your lunch break for approximately 30 – 60 minutes.

As a general rule Saturdays and Sundays are not normal work days (although there are certainly exceptions like commerce and public transport). And on some Sundays there is also Sunday shopping.

Shift work means that you share your working place with one or more colleagues. Very common is the 2-shift-model with an early and a late shift, in which both shifts can last up to 8 hours. The 3-shift-model with an additional night shift allows production 24 hours a day. During the night shift you can receive a salary supplement.

As on Sundays, public holidays are usually not working days. If your company is open during that time you receive a salary supplement for the holidays – the exact amount depends on your working time. There are also supplements for night work (23 – 6 o’clock, at least 2 hours) and for work on Sundays.

Paid leave / holiday 

During your annual vacation you will continue to receive your pay, this is regulated in your employment contract.

Continuation of payments to sick workers

In case you become sick and are on sick leave form your doctor (with certificate), you will still receive your salary.

>> further information on working conditions in Germany

Family in Germany

As EU citizens, your spouse and children can live and work in Germany without limitations or any special residence permit.

Citizens not from the EU have to first meet certain requirements: Residence permit, housing accommodations, financial resources, legal age of the spouse. Children aged up to 16 years receive a residence permit. There are special regulations for children older than 16 years. You will receive further details at the German embassy or at immigrations offices in Germany.

The first step is that your family applies for a residence permit at the German Embassy or consulate in your home country.  Please be aware to apply in advance as processing the application can take some time. The second step is to register your family at the Residents registration office and at the local foreign registration office. Ask the registration offices before which documents are needed for this.

>> Official informations of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees about family reunification

Find further information on the topic "working in Germany":

>> Learn more about "Living in Germany"

<< Learn more about "Temporary employment & personnel recruitment"

Die meistgesuchten Jobs

Besuchen Sie uns auf unseren Social Media Seiten und vernetzen Sie sich mit uns:

Gendererklärung Kontakt aufnehmen Initiativ bewerben Job finden